fYrefly Saskatchewan Coordinator
fYrefly and OUTSaskatoon are proud to partner in hiring a new fYrefly Coordinator that will work to deliver innovative, accessible, and inclusive LGBTQ education to students and teachers in Saskatoon and area throughout the school year and will coordinate Camp fYrefly for Gender and Sexual Minority Youth during the summer.
37.5 Hours Per Week
Apply by: Friday, March 24th 2017 at noon
Based in Saskatoon, this new position will work to engage sexual and gender minority (LGBTQ) individuals, as well as schools and communities in Saskatchewan in a variety of initiatives known broadly as fYrefly Saskatchewan.
fYrefly in Schools is an educational initiative geared towards (1) increasing awareness of and helping reduce discrimination against sexual and gender minorities, (2) utilizing peer education as an important process of de-stigmatization and humanization and (3) enhancing the civic engagement and social inclusion of sexual and gender minority and allied youth in their schools and communities. Designed for junior and senior high school students, teachers and administrators, fYrefly in Schools workshops are activity-based, student-centred, rights-based, and follow the peer-to-peer mentorship model of Camp fYrefly. They are designed for all school students and staff, not just sexual and gender minority youth. In terms of school curriculum, fYrefly in Schools is based on the comprehensive school and community health model.
Camp fYrefly Saskatchewan is a summer leadership retreat for sexual and gender minority (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, two spirit, intersex, queer, questioning), and allied youth, designed to help youth develop the leadership skills and resiliency necessary for them to become change agents in their schools, families, and communities. In partnership with the Faculty of Education, University of Regina and the College of Education, University of Saskatchewan, Camp fYrefly-Saskatchewan is held over four days in Saskatchewan (alternating between Saskatoon and Regina) each summer. Camp fYrefly-Saskatchewan is dedicated to the guiding principle of helping sexual and gender minority youth move from being "at-risk" to a place where they can be resilient and positively address the challenges of adolescence and young adulthood. The fYrefly Saskatchewan Coordinator will work closely with a local and provincial steering committee and the National Directors of Camp fYrefly (at the University of Alberta).
The fYrefly Coordinator will be responsible for the ongoing development and successful delivery of the fYrefly in Schools program throughout the school year, and then to working with a local volunteer committee to provide leadership and direction for the annual development and delivery of Camp fYrefly during the summer.
This position takes overall direction from the fYrefly Saskatchewan provincial steering committee. The work of this position will be closely linked with the coordinators who are based in Regina. The Saskatoon position will be administered and supervised by OUTSaskatoon.
- In coordination with iSMSS (Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services, University of Alberta) plan, organize, and deliver the fYrefly in Schools program to students, teachers, and administrators in Saskatchewan schools
- Ensure the program is pedagogically sound, age-appropriate, and professionally delivered.
- Liaise with schools to make bookings and deliver presentations.
- Recruit, select, and train student workshop presenters.
- Ensure and plan for effective program evaluation, tracking, and reporting as required by funders.
- Develop outcome measurement tools for GSA networking, Camp fYrefly, and fYrefly in Schools.
- Attend staff and team meetings at OUTSaskatoon as required.
- Work with the Camp fYrefly Planning Committee to deliver and coordinate the summer Camp fYrefly program.
Skills and Knowledge:
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor of Education degree or equivalent
- Experience as a teacher and/or direct experience working with K-12 schools
- Understanding of and/or experience working with the LGBTQ and allied community, with a particular focus on queer and two spirit youth.
- Experience with event planning, partnership building, and fundraising
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated skills in critical analysis and report writing
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Extensive knowledge of sexual health and comprehensive school and community wellness
- Strong communication and team work skills
- Ability to work independently and task focused
- Commitment to anti-oppressive and social justice philosophy and practices
This is a two year contract position anticipated to begin May 1, 2017 with reviews after 6 month and 12 months and the possibility of renewal. This is a 37.5 hrs a week position requiring evening and weekend work and flex time. Access to a reliable vehicle and the ability to travel is required. A competitive benefits package and professional development opportunities are available. In keeping with fYrefly Saskatchewan’s commitment to diversity, we encourage those who are traditionally marginalized to apply.
Please send a resumé electronically with the names of 3 references to:
fYrefly Saskatchewan Hiring Committee c/o James.McNinch@uregina.ca