OUTSaskatoon is looking for a community-minded, passionate, and creative individual to fill the position of Two Spirit Oskâpêwis (Helper)!
20 hours per week
Term position (September to June 2017)
We are looking for a community-minded, passionate, and creative individual to fill the position of Two Spirit Oskâpêwis (Helper). This position is part-time and includes shift-work. This job runs Wed - Friday with day shifts on Wednesday and Thurdsay and a 1:30-9pm shift on Friday. Some weekend work is required.
- Working to build relations with our Indigenous community members and partners
- Coordinating Two Spirit programming which runs on Fridays from 5-9 and offers storytelling, crafting, and other activities.
- Planning and running Solstice and Equinox ceremonies
- Working with community partners to put on the 2nd Annual AIDS Memorial Feast and Round Dance.
- Helping OUTSaskatoon's Elder to organize a winter gathering of elders and knowledge keepers on gender and sexuality.
- Assisting with OUTSaskatoon’s drop-in centre and 1-800 phone line.
- Participate in key events put on by OUTSaskatoon (Pride, Gala, AIDS Walk, etc)
- Monthly statistical record-keeping and reporting
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- 1-2 years of experience in the field of community program delivery/coordination or a related activity
- Knowledge of queer and Indigenous issues
- Knowledge of harm reduction, anti-oppression, and anti-racism approaches to community service delivery an asset
- Experience working for community-based organizations and/or working in the queer community an asset
- Openness, honesty, and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to conduct research regarding programs and services and initiatives in contacting and working with local and provincial partners
- Communication skills (written and oral)
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems
- Desire and ability to work as part of a team
- Organization skills, ability to multi-task
- Experience with basic programs including word, excel, powerpoint, and publisher
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
OUTSaskatoon is dedicated to reflecting the diversity of all we serve. This includes prioritizing applicants that are diverse in gender identity, sexuality, culture, and race. Use your cover letter to tell us about your unique perspectives, experiences, and abilities, as they apply to your fit for this position. Note that preferential consideration will be given to First Nations, Metis, and Two Spirit applicants. We rely on section 48 of The Saskatchewan Human Rights Code for this measure.
To Apply: Please submit a detailed cover letter, a resume highlighting relevant education and work experience, and three references by email, mail, or fax to:
Rachel Loewen Walker
201-320 21st St W
Saskatoon, SK S7M 4E6
Deadline to apply: Friday, August 26th at noon.