Work With Us
OUTSaskatoon is a fun, inspiring, and rewarding place to work with staff and volunteers, united by a common goal to build a better world in which everyone can be healthy, equal, and complete members of society.
JOB POSTING: Pride Home Support Worker
OUTSaskatoon’s Pride Home houses up to eight 2SLGBTQ+ youth and needs an enthusiastic Support Worker. If you agree with the following statements, we want you to apply:
You love working with LGBTQ2S+ youth
- You know what it means to be a role model and can provide stability for youth in otherwise unstable environments
- You are knowledgeable in the areas of gender, sexuality, culture, and identity and can use this knowledge to coach and encourage youth.
You enjoy working in a harm reduction environment
- You have a solid understanding of harm reduction and are able to put the model into practice
You have integrity:
- you are trustworthy and courageous and can be relied upon in independent and group settings
About the Position
Hours: Up to 25 hrs per week
Schedule: Evenings and weekends
We are looking for a community-minded, compassionate, and eager individual to fill our position of Pride Home Support Worker. The Pride Home Support Worker provides peer-support and helps to create and maintain independent and healthy lifestyles for youth at Pride Home, OUTSaskatoon’s 2SLGBTQ+ Youth Home.
Pride Home is a long term care housing option for 2SLGBTQ+ youth ages 16-21 and follows an independent supportive model of care. The Pride Home Youth Care worker would work within the group home to support youth during the evening and over the weekend through a holistic and trauma informed care lens.
OUTSaskatoon is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of all we serve. This includes prioritizing applicants that are diverse in gender identity, sexuality, culture, and race. Please use your cover letter to tell us about yourself and your interest in working with OUTSaskatoon. Preferential consideration will be given to First Nations, Metis, and Two Spirit applicants. We rely on section 48 of The Saskatchewan Human Rights Code for this measure.
- Provides peer support services and referrals to youth living in Pride Home.
- Provides support to Pride Home Manager and Coordinator and assists with developing and implementing programming, providing support and supervision to youth living in home, and assisting with appointments.
- Works with youth to build life and social skills through motivational interviewing and harm-reduction models.
- Ensures that basic needs of youth are met (including food, clothing, and medical needs) through a strengths-based model (i.e. working with youth to build skills and capacity to meet their own needs).
- Works to provide programs that are culturally appropriate and inclusive, as per youth living in the home.
- Works with the Pride Home Coordinator to maintain the cleanliness and upkeep of Pride Home through a collaborative model and as per the guidelines of Stewart Properties.
- Completes daily shift notes, statistics and monthly reporting.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Youth Care worker certificate, Therapeutic Recreation Certificate or an equivalent life experience. One-two years of experience working in a human services field in a youth care worker/support services/peer support capacity. Knowledge of queer issues or relevant lived experience is required. A valid driver’s license and driver’s abstract, and proficiency in software applications such as MS Word, Excel, Desktop Publishing, Access and PowerPoint are valuable. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered. Successful applicants will require a Vulnerable Sector and Criminal Record Check.
Working Conditions: The incumbent works in a group home environment. Shift work including evenings and weekends are required. Lifts and carries heavy items such as boxes of materials, groceries, and supplies. Mostly drives locally, occasionally travels within the province.
Deadline: Candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis. Please apply for the position early.
To Apply: Please submit a detailed cover letter (applicants that do not include a cover letter will not be considered), a resume highlighting relevant education and work experience, and three references to: